Lots of little UI tweaks
Okay, wow, it's been a while since my last devlog. Part of that is because I've been really busy with non-Refactor things, or with non-game parts of Refactor. Part of that was because I was waiting for larger updates to post anything. Most of it was because my usual chronic pain issues caught up with me and laid me low for most of the month.
Anyway, here's what I've done on Refactor in the past month.
- The jam build now has a "Get full game" menu option. Because that's useful.
- Based on some player feedback I've tweaked the way that text skipping works in Strangers
- The credits text layout code now does a better job of balancing the word breaks (absolutely vital, I know)
- Made some gameplay tweaks to Flight
- On the full build, the main menu now shows ALL the tracks (although this could be improved on lower-resolution screens)
- The game version number is now baked into the main menu and the readme.txt, which makes diagnosing issues a bit easier
- More build system cleanups (these don't affect the game but they make my life somewhat easier)
- And now the music and game genre will appear at the bottom of the screen while you make your song selection
There is so much to do on this, I mean aside from writing the other 10 games! Here's a condensed list of stuff:
- The menuing system is a bit of a trainwreck right now, and I really want to rewrite it to support a bunch of stuff
- There's no options menu, which is one of those things
- Also it would be nice if menus could scroll (well, they sort of can, like on the credits screen, but that's a hack)
- Really all the UI stuff needs to be completely redone now that I have a better idea of how this thing is going to fit together (the main menu itself was just a quick hack to get Strangers and Little Bouncing Ball playable from the same build, and it's kind of... grown from there)
- Not to mention gameplay changes to Little Bouncing Ball
- and fixing up the dialog system in Strangers
- also the other miscellaneous things that bother me
- this game is going to take for-freaking-ever to finish
Anyway! This weekend I will be at the Indie Games Expo at Emerald City Comic Con! Come check it out, in room 204. I'll be there Thursday afternoon and evening, Friday evening, and Saturday night. But there's a lot of other amazing games that will be there too! So check it out multiple times. And come and say hi!
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.