Strangers: now ready for playtesting!
Hi, sorry for not posting a devlog in a while, but I've just been working hard on filling in various bits of scaffolding and filling out the dialog forest to get it to a point where it's ready for playtesting! There's only one path that needs to be filled out but it only has a few texts to put in and they don't affect the gameplay at all, so I'm calling this good enough for dialog checking and so on.
If you could be so kind as to play track 2 (Strangers) on
this build the latest build and go through the story a few times, that'd be great! And if there's ever a bit in the conversation that makes no sense, please, please, please let me know by sending me the automatically-saved transcript. You can find the transcripts in the following locations (probably; check the love.filesystem page for more):
~/Library/Application Support/biz.beesbuzz.Refactor(most likely)
~/Library/Application Support/LOVE/biz.beesbuzz.Refactor(less likely but still possible)
%appdata%\biz.beesbuzz.Refactor(press windows-R then type "
%appdata%") - or it might be under a subdirectory called LOVE, who knows
Every time you play track 2 it records a new transcript, so make sure you're sending me the right one. You can send transcripts via email (fluffy at beesbuzz dot biz) or by linking to pastebin on a comment on this page or in a PM or whatever. It'd be helpful if you also mention which line seems out of place.
I'm also willing to listen to criticism about the story itself (as well as any lines of dialog that seem amiss), and hear your thoughts about what's happening in it. I've left a bunch of stuff open to interpretation (especially with some of the more esoteric paths) so I'd love to find out how it resonates, or doesn't.
Anyway! There's still a LOT left to do on this game, but the really hard parts are finished. All that's left is making a bunch of artwork and maybe adding some minigames that I was planning to have overlaid over the instrumental section towards the end. Which is to say there's still a few weeks left on it! But at least it's in a state where it's playable to others, finally.
Summary of other stuff since the last devlog:
- Record a chat transcript for forensic/playtest purposes
- Tweaked the CRT effects (including a slight phosphor blur)
- Added a bunch of art
- Improved my dialog unit tests in a whole bunch of ways
- Improved a bunch of the dialog paths
- About 375% more angst and melodrama
- Build system fixes to make it not barf in cases of partial success
- Fixed the global game controller to actually pause things correctly (I have no idea how I missed this problem before because it's glaring in retrospect)
- Placeholder stuff for the endgame cinematics
- Lots and lots of simple animations
- Improve the way we handle sound effects
- Consolidated a couple of redundant dialog paths
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.